This of course is not a new idea but something i have started to use at Key Stage 3 with Google Docs.
We have started to use Google Docs with students to share their success criteria for Scratch and a Google Sketchup project. The aim is to improve student independence and allow them to set measurable success criteria which they can both use to measure the success of their solution but also use in AFL activities.
We started by sharing initial ideas on a primarypad of what makes a good game of elements of game design but also bad game design
As a class we extracted out the keywords for both good and bad game design and students decided to use at least 3 of these to set the success driers for their solution. Prior to this exercise students have been using their scratch planning document and have previously played around with Scratch with a supply teacher. For homework students are playing retro games in order to understand the principle of game design (blog post to follow).
The main difficulty of the task was students setting measurable targets for their tasks. The words interesting, good and challenging were commonly used but with class discussion we tried to set ones which they could use in order to manage the success of their solutions.
Interestingly I read @misterel’s blog post at the weekend which looks at students achieving a Level 6 in ICT. We have very high attainment targets with the vast majority of students expected to hit level 6s by the end of year 9. By using this idea I’m hoping to give students more ownership over their projects and enable them to achieve the level 6 level descriptors.
For Sketchup, students explored a similar theme and some settled on content rather than the design of their buildings.
Once students feel confident in setting their success criteria using both the project outline and their knowledge of the software solutions they should become more confident in setting more achievable success criteria.
We are also using a google form to gather feedback for their projects periodically for themselves and also from their peers. This has been a success so far, where initially we were setting aside time in the lesson to peer assess, students are now independently asking their peers for feedback and using the google form to record this.
At present Google Apps Edu is underpinning a lot of the learning in my classroom and i hope to blog on this soon.